How to Have a Pet-Safe Pawliday Season

The festive winter holidays make for a spectacularly fun season for us humans. But our decorations, parties and colorful plants put our pets at risk! Here are some tips for keeping your pets safe this holiday season.

If you have a cat, skip the tinsel. Cats are particularly attracted to shiny objects, so they’ll likely try and play with it. Ingesting tinsel can cause gastrointestinal obstructions.

Secure your Christmas tree to the ground or the wall with fishing line to keep it from falling over if your dog bumps it or your cat climbs it. Better yet, you can deter your pets from the tree altogether by hanging lemon-scented air fresheners in it.

Popular holiday plants, like holly, mistletoe, poinsettias and lilies, are highly toxic to cats and dogs and can cause organ failure and death if pets eat them.

Don’t let your pet consume chocolate, xylitol (a sweetener often found in chewing gum and peanut butter), grapes, raisins, onions, currants, macadamia nuts or walnuts. Ingesting them can result in upset stomachs, heart arrhythmia, kidney failure and seizures.

If you’re having holiday parties and your pet is excitable or scared when you have company over, consider putting your animal friend in another room with toys and a comfortable bed. This way, your pet has somewhere to feel safe outside of the commotion.

Watch those boozy beverages! It doesn’t take much for small animals to get alcohol poisoning, which can cause serious health complications.

Also handy: The ASPCA Poison Control Line: 1-888-426-4435 (a fee may apply). They also maintain a current list of substances that are hazardous to pets.

For more information on pet-proofing your season, contact us online or give us a call at (503) 648-4117.